Job Title: Planning Operator – Freight Forwarding
Hours of work :Monday –Friday 09.00 – 17.30
Main Purpose of Job:
To meet customers requirements for the safe and efficient transport of their cargo effectively and in accordance with company operational procedures and statutory requirements including Health & Safety to the satisfaction of clients and the profit of the company.
- Communicate effectively in a professional manner with customers to ensure their requirements are fulfilled in line with their booking instructions.
- Collate all bookings and plan trailers to ensure cost effectiveness, to provide the service level as shown within the service schedule and to meet the customers requirements.
- Plan vehicles to be used, assessing any subcontractors ensuring the they are approved and fulfil any legal requirements.
- Liaise with other offices in the UK and abroad, reporting any discrepancies or specific requirements.
- Communicate with drivers to ensure issues are resolved promptly
- Ensure legislative compliance in all areas.
- Ensure that the company operates within all agreed operational procedures, and within statutory requirements including the provision and maintenance of a safe working environment.
- Arrange with approved hauliers for transport of cargo, confirm availability of equipment and agree prices where no tariff exists, to maximise cost effectiveness.
- Prepare correct documentation to the Warehouse/Haulage/Distribution/Shipping department for loading/off loading cargo to vehicles, in a timely manner, ensuring all hazardous requirements are met.
- Perform and correctly implement General Administration, e.g. check costs in accordance with departmental requirements, filing, fulfil month end requirements including cost match and or ametas.
- Communicate efficiently and effectively (via use of VDU’s, fax machines, telephone, etc.) with internal and external customers, suppliers, and other offices, as required by operational procedures.
- In conjunction with others, plan collection or deliveries to meet the customers or their customers needs or requirements to the best effective use of all resources, in a timely and efficient manner.
- Maintain awareness of and follow transport (and H.M. Customs) regulations, where relevant, to conform to all statutory requirements.
The Ideal candidate will have 1-2 years planning experience in a freight forwarding environment